Saturday, April 25, 2015

Bicol Express: Spicy Pork with String beans in Coconut Milk with Chilli Peppers

Among the members in the family, the only people who can eat spicy foods are my sister, my father, my brother and myself. The rest of them, they cannot take eating even a mild spicy dishes. For me, I find it very appetizing. But I can say that I am the most addictive to hot and spicy cuisine. So, Bicol Express is my number one favorite. 




A little info about Bicol Express:
Bicol Express (Bikol: Sinilihan) is a popular Filipino dish which was popularized in the district of Malate, Manila but made in traditional Bicolano style.[1][2] It is a stew made from long chilies (siling mahaba in Tagalog, lada panjang in Malay/Indonesian),coconut milk, shrimp paste or stockfish, onion, pork, and garlic. It is said to have been inspired by the fiery Bicolano dish gulay na may lada, which is nowadays presented as one of the many variants of Bicol Express.
Bicol Express was named after the passenger train service[3] from Manila to the Bicol region, a region in the Philippines famous for its spicy cuisine. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicol_Express

Before when I was learning how to cook, I admit that my first try was not successful because the spices didn't blend well. After a number of tries, I finally able to cook it well. Originally, I only add 3-4 red chilli in my recipe but later on, I have tried adding 15 chilli peppers and it's totally awesome! The bagoong or alamang also help to balance the taste. So, if you're addictive like me to spicy foods, you will enjoy this cuisine. Below is the recipe. 

What you Need:
  • 1/2 kilo pork (cut into small cubes)
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 4 tbsp bagoong or alamang (or to taste)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • string beans cut into small strips
  • 15 red chilli (or siling labuyo) chopped in thin slices
  • 1 - 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • strips of ginger
  • 1 onion diced, 3 cloves of garlic diced
Procedure:

  1. First, pour a small amount of water in the skillet and add the pork cubes, and a pinch of salt. Bring it to boil. (This process, will tenderize the pork).
  2. As soon as the water is dissolve, it will be replaced by oil coming from the pork fat. Sauté the pork, ginger, onion and garlic in medium heat. Don't burn.
  3. Add the coconut milk, alamang or bagoong, salt, black pepper. Stir until it becomes thick. (You must continuously stir the milk or else it will get burned)
  4. You may add the string beans and continue to stir. 
  5. Try tasting it. Add a tbsp of bagoong or alamang or fish sauce if you think that it still lacks some saltiness. 
  6. Check the string beans if it is almost cooked. Finally, add the chopped red chilli (siling labuyo). Simmer for 3 minutes.
  7. Serve hot and Enjoy!
Caution: It's awesomely spicy!

Let me know your thoughts or experience by sending me a message or comment. I'll be very happy to hear it. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment