Thursday, May 7, 2015

Sweet Treats: Cookies and Cream Candy Cups (Polvoron With Crushed Cookies and Cream)

Hello everyone,

It's nice to be back after a restful long vacation. I really enjoyed it. And I know I need to do some new posting for this week. So, I decided to share with you an easy sweet treats that you and your kids will love to make.

Here in the Philippines, we called this "polvoron". I learned this recipe from my grandmother when I was a child. She is a great cook of sweets and different Filipino dishes. She used to have a small store (sari-sari store) just in front of her house. Every afternoon, when I came home from school, I always helped her to serve her customers. And when there's a chance, I often watch her to cook sweets such as sweetened coconut bars (bukayo), Polvoron candies, Filipino Sweet Sticky rice (biko), Steamed rice cake (puto), and many many more.

Since I want to learn how to cook, she is the first person who taught me to cook sweets. Then I learned from my father as well. And with the help of cookbooks and recipes from the internet, I tried cooking different dishes, desserts, and even pastries.

So, cooking polvoron, brings back a lot of good memories. And I hope you can create wonderful memories with your love ones as well while making your own polvoron candy. :)

Oh, below is the picture of what I have made for my sister when I was in Dubai. I tried making a cookies and cream polvoron which is a different version from what my grandmother has taught me.

Usually polvoron candies are oblong or round shapes and wrapped in a colored cellophane. You can buy polvoron molders from the supermarket or to any leading baking shops. If you cannot find any polvoron molders, you can try what I did below. I used silicon cupcake cups to form my polvoron candies.




Cookies and Cream Candy Cups (Polvoron With Crushed Cookies and Cream)

Here's what you need:
  • 2 cups of All-Purpose Flour (sifted)
  • 1 1/2 cups of Sugar
  • 3/4 cups of melted butter
  • 2 cups of powdered milk or skim milk
  • 2 cups of crushed cookies (remove the cream from the cookies before crushing it because this will make your candy salty)
Procedure:
  1. In a skillet, pour the all-purpose flour and cook until it turns brown. Stir often to prevent the flour to burn.
  2. Once the flour is cooked or turned light brown, transfer it into a medium size bowl.
  3. Melt the butter in the skillet or microwave oven.
  4. Combine the sugar, powdered milk into the toasted flour, then mix until incorporated.
  5. Add the melted butter to the mixture then stir well to combined all ingredients.
  6. Add the crushed cookies and mix.
  7. Scoop the mixture into a small silicon cupcake cups or molder and press gently the top of the cups. Set aside.
  8. Repeat the same process on #7 until all has been formed into the cups.
  9. Place the cups in the tray and wrap it with a plastic wrapper. Then refrigerate at least an hour or two.
  10. Once it's firm enough, it is easy to take out the polvoron from the silicon cups.
You can wrap it or pack it to give as gifts to your friends or relatives.

Note: You can buy a polvoron molder in the supermarket or leading baking shops. I just used a silicon cupcake molder because the polvoron molder is not available in Dubai.


Do you like this recipe? Share it to your friends!
Want more recipes? Subscribe or follow by email

1 comment: